"You’re not a TYPE B personality; you’re totally dependable and always on time!” was my response. It was obvious that we had different ideas of what “TYPE B” means.
It was originally thought that TYPE A behaviors were linked to heart disease. In 1996, Friedman described them as ambitious, rigidly organized, highly status conscious, can be sensitive, care for other people, truthful, impatient, take on more than they can handle, want other people to get to the point and are obsessed with time management; high-achieving “workaholics” who multi-task, push themselves with deadlines and hate both delays and ambivalence.
TYPE B Behavior has been described as rid of any hostility or aggression, marked by an absence of time urgency, and little need to show or talk about one's achievements or accomplishments.
I was a TYPE A for most of my life. But a few years ago I wanted to learn how to imitate Christ so I started studying His behaviors in the Gospels where I found Christ’s behaviors to be TYPE B:
1) lower stress level (had time to go off by himself and pray)
2) worked steadily rather than waiting until a deadline loomed (always teaching, preaching, healing, and praying but never panicked about missing a deadline)
3) enjoyed achievement but didn’t become stressed when outcomes weren’t achieved (shook the dust off his feet and moved on. We don’t hear him obsessing about the people who wouldn’t listen to him)
4) When faced with competition, he didn’t mind losing and either enjoyed the game or backed down. (He never threatened anyone that didn’t want to follow him, he let them go. Instead Christ invited people to join Him)
5) Type B personalities may be creative and enjoy exploring ideas and concepts; (the good news and having heaven on earth were new concepts)
6) often reflective, thinking about the outer and inner worlds (Our Father, who art in heaven….)
7) Type B’s may have a poor sense of time schedule and can be predominantly right brained (Christ often varied His intended plans like when he went to heal his friend Lazarus. He did show up a little late according to Martha and Mary)
There are many on-line quizzes that offer to categorize behaviors. Here’s a link to one with 10 questions: http://personality-testing.info/tests/AB.php . I scored a 4 of 10—a definite TYPE B.
I’ve made the change from a TYPE A to a TYPE B not by my own will but by relying on, and trusting God for everything in my life. In trying to imitate Christ, I’ve become a Type B personality, except I’m still pretty dependable and usually on time. :)
(click below for MP3 file)