I’ve used a lot of excuses in my life, some due to insecurities or lack of confidence and some just because of laziness. I realize now that “I’m too young to get married” was born of my insecurities and “I’m not in the mood” had roots in my self-centeredness. In most cases, God was calling me to do something, and I was resisting, trying to rationalize my way with God.
I’ve encountered a number of people in the Bible that seem to have “excuse-itis” too:
1. Sarah- “I’m too old to have a baby” (Genesis 18:10-13)
2. Moses- “O Lord, please send someone else to do it.” (Exodus 4:13)
3. Banquet Guests- “But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, “I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.” (Luke 14:15-20)
4. Jeremiah- “Then I said, “Ah, Lord God! Behold, I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.” (Jeremiah 1:6)
5. Gideon- “Please, Lord, how can I save Israel? Behold, my clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my father's house.” (Judges 6:15)
Jonah didn’t bother to make excuses, he just ran from God! (Jonah 1:3)
The more I listen, the more I realize that God calls us all to do things that seem humanly impossible because His works are greater than our understanding. When we think we are “too old”, we’re not; when we plead, “send someone else to do it”, we should step up and volunteer with gusto. Even the very young are used by God in amazing ways.
So what is your excuse today? Not pretty enough? Don’t have enough money? Don’t like public speaking? Afraid to meet a group of strangers? Are you saying “No” to God about something he’s asking you to do? Maybe you need to be more generous with your time, be a better mother or daughter, or a better husband. God knows us each as a unique person and calls us to different things. He always gives us the resources we need to do as He asks.
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.” (John 14:12)
You can be used by God, He just wants to hear you say, “Yes.” He has mighty things for you to do and they will bring you joy.
Blessings, my friend,